Nearly 200,000 pounds of food come into and out of the Pantry each year. Much work is involved behind the scenes to process this incredible amount of food and prepare it for distribution to our clients. More than 70 volunteers each month make this possible when they:
- Pick up food at local grocers and unload it at the Pantry
- Check thousands of items for expiration dates
- Sort food items for easier inventory management
- Carry and place food items into storage
- Re-stock shelves with new provisions
- Weigh all food donations
Because we rely on volunteers in our daily operations, we appreciate each and every hour they give us. Our goal is to make their time here as productive and fulfilling as possible.
You can help us be efficient in our work if you follow these guidelines:
- In food drives or donation bin drop-offs, only donate food that is nonperishable (canned, boxed, etc.).
- Donations of produce and other perishable foods must be arranged in advance to ensure we can accommodate them. Please call 508-528-3115 for details.
- Check the dates on all items. We cannot accept expired food.
- Do not give us items that are open or damaged.
- Please give only standard size vs. big box store items. These are easier to distribute to families of all sizes and store on our shelves.
- Please donate only food, personal care items or household cleaners. We are not equipped to take household items such as dishes, clothing, furniture, etc.
- Please refer to our Current Needs List for suggested donations.